[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

Uriel Carrasquilla uriel at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 29 20:03:15 MST 2003

If I may, I'd like to make a few points that I hope can help find an answer
to what we seem to be looking for:  THe equitable distribution of financial
gains due to efforts brought to the table by Digium, efforts to contributors
to Asterisk and the efforts of independent operators.

Analogy:
In the world of IBM Mainframes, IBM always provided well documented exit
points for their applications so 3rd party could develop solutions
independent of their licenses.
For example, wouldn't it be nice if Asterisk called dummy modules during
call set up, CDR writing, call hang-up etc, passing some pointers to control
blocks containing information about caller-id, ANI, DNIS, etc?
Then, we could write our independent programs (under the name of those dummy
modules with dynamic links) that would enhance the functionality of
ASterisk.  THus increasing the chances of success for Asterisk over the long
run and helping everybody in this boat.

I do strongly believe that Digium (and Mark) needs to be compensated for
their efforts.  So far it is in the form of hardware and consulting sales
which personally I don't think it is enough compensation.  In the case of
IBM, when third party software was sold, then IBM software would be require
and IBM made money this way.  The challenge with Asterisk is that a Linux
box with Asterisk in it can be sold (including and disclosing as per the GPL
license) and Digium does not make money on the transaction unless Digium
hardware is included (which is not enough for the value Asterisk brings to
the deal).
I think we all want to see Asterisk succeed. I am sure we have all invested
long hours in learning how to use it, marketing and making it "prime time"
ready with the little documentation and training available.  We, I believe,
as a community also want to see Digium to be properly compensated, after
all, they are the hart of this entire community.  THe difficulty is finding
a method that works for everybody and is not risky from the legal point of
view.  The law can protect us but can also cause harm when not intended.
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, I am not a lawyer but I do know that
if the time I spent with ASterisk and the compensation I got for it, I am
working for a penny a day.  However, I do it because I love it and I suspect
that is the case with a lot of the members.

Uriel