[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

Jeff Dodge jdodge at jdcs.net
Mon Sep 29 12:23:11 MST 2003

> > > 1) if your application is not released to a 3rd party, you
> > do not have
> > > to make the source available
> >
> > This is TRUE.
> >
> > > 2) if you build your application as a module that loads into a stock
> > > asterisk server, you do not have to disclose your source
> >
> > This is FALSE.  Even modules for Asterisk MUST be released under GPL,
> > unless you obtain a license to release them outside of GPL
> > from Digium.
>
> Interesting.  The GPL is more parasitic than I had originally thought.

How so?  Most licenses don't allow you to use /anything/ for free.  The GPL
does --
it just requires that you be a good samaritan in return.

> [ . . . ]
> All I can say, is sorry if I mislead anyone, and thank God I'm not a
> software developer and don't have to deal with this evil, evil license.
>
> --
>   Troy Settle
>   Pulaski Networks

Okay -- I've heard this so many times -- how is the license evil?  It
requires you
to respect the work others have done -- which you wish to take advantage of.

Note: distribution of the source is required to each entity you distribute
your APPLICATION to.
So -- If you don't distribute the compiled app to me -- I have no right to
ask you for the source.  Even if I pay
you for your custom application and you must provide me with the source
(Upon request!) I have no redistribution rights
to that source code.  I may utilize it internally -- but you still own the
copyright.

So: how is this evil?

       - Jeff Dodge