[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Sep 29 08:49:30 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 09:15, Dave Wilson wrote:
> > With that said, if you're writing an application that you
> > would like to
> > sell, your IP lawyer should be able to easily decipher the GPL and
> > advise you as to which parts of your code need to be made public.
> >

> How about if I'm connecting Asterisk to a non-GPL software solution as an
> add-on in the following way:
>
> Asterisk -> AGI -> DBI:Sybase -> MSSQL7.0 <- JDBC <- Intranet applications
> (CRM tools, switchboard)
>
> The RDBMS may also be Oracle, MySQL or PostGres.
>
> Does this mean I must seek alternative licencing for Asterisk? We're not
> seeking to distribute our software under GPL.

You answer your self in this last sentence. You don't plan to distribute
so you don't have to open source.

Alternatively, the stdin/stdout of AGI insulates you from the GPL as you
no longer are linking against the asterisk sources. What you are linking
against is the libraries of your compiler/interpreter and most if not
all of them are licensed in such a way as to not interfere with your
software license of choice.