[Asterisk-Users] SIP security (was: New ATA clone out)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Sep 28 23:40:26 MST 2003

>was breezing over http://voxilla.com/
>Looks like a new ATA from the founder of Komodo Technology
>(aka the Cisco 186)
>Sipura SPA 2000   http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm
>
>to join the others
>Cisco ATA 186/188 http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/as/180/186/
>8x8 DTA-310 http://www.8x8.com/products/home_office/dta-310/index.asp.html
>Grandstream HandyTone 286 http://www.grandstream.com/y-product.htm

Note that the Sipura supports TLS and SSL/HTTPS for what I assume
must be security for SIP messages.  They say "media encryption", but
I don't see any mention of SRTP.

Anybody want to start churning on getting some support for TLS into
Asterisk?  Even TCP doesn't exist yet (see the bugtracker for
comments on an outstanding request for TCP support.)  I really want
to have more security in SIP, especially now that I have an 802.11
phone.  I understand very clearly that POTS lines are just as easy to
tap as my home phone, but I have a real desire to have MORE security
on my SIP lines than on my POTs lines.

Since this is a jumbled post to start with, let's add some more junk:
I have an 802.11 phone, from pulver.com.  It doesn't work with
Asterisk, period.  I've seen them work with FWD and the Jasomi box
that they run in front of that service, but I haven't been able to
convince it to work with * in any way other than getting signalling
out from the phone (the phone seems to be ignoring the SIP reply
packets under some circumstances, though it REGISTERs just fine.)

JT