[Asterisk-Users] RE: outbound IAX calls bog down DSL

d.redmore at att.net d.redmore at att.net
Sat Sep 27 10:50:40 MST 2003

Thanks for the reply Greg...  I sure didn't mean to imply that I thought this

was an issue with NuFone - I have been extremely happy and excited about the

service and support.  I'll echo the sentiment I believe bkw expressed - NUFONE

ROCKS!

That said, I'm just curious why a call would cause other traffic to slow down

so much...  I'm not running any other internet services (i.e. kazaa) just web

surfing...  One call over IAX to nufone causes web surfing to slow to the

point that it is basically unusable while the call is up.  All traffic is

routed through a box running a 850mhz Duron w/ 128megs and the Asterisk box is

a dedicated machine running at 166mhz w/ 50megs. All traffic is

switched/100meg except for the NAT/firewall/DSL modem which is 10meg.  So

packets from desktop to NuFone have to travel the following path -

desktop(SIP) -> router -> asterisk(SIP/IAX2) -> router -> NAT/firewall/DSL

modem -> DSL -> NuFone(IAX2).  If I run KSnuffle on the router I see about

40Kbytes/sec sustained on the eth0 interface that is handling all the traffic

while the call is up.  The * box and the desktop are on different subnets

which is why everything has to traverse the router so much.

thanks,  dave