[Asterisk-Users] Creating a SIP gateway for use behind NAT

Leif Madsen leif at radiokaos.com
Fri Sep 26 20:13:31 MST 2003

Hi all,

Here is a graphical diagram of what I am trying to do:

<SIP> <---> <GW/NAT/*> <--IAX--> <*> <--TDM400P--> <Analog Phone>

So I have incoming SIP calls go to the * on the GW, which I then want to
forward over IAX to the second * box behind the NAT GW.  If I was to
place a call on the second * box, it should then forward to the * on the
NAT GW and place the call to the SIP destination.  Thus, this should
create a 2 way communication between the * box BEHIND the NAT GW, and
end point.

Now, the REASON I am doing this is because the TDM400P card I have is an
older version, and has a lot of noise on the GW box, but is eliminated
when using it in the box behind the GW.  I realize I can just get this
card replaced, but I am just using it on loan from the school, so until
January comes around, I can't send it back, so this is my work around
until then.

I have built the IAX registrations between the boxes, so they register
with each other.  What I am trying to figure out is how to use my
existing dial plan which worked on the gateway.  This is going to work
with FWD, so I should be able to receive calls on my 18924 number, and
the 55555 welcome line as well.

Couple of questions:

1) Should the GW or the second * box register with FWD?
2) Am I basically going to be using a blank configuration on the GW box,
and having the second * box with all the fancy dial plan stuff, or the
other way around?
3) Am I looking at using the switch => command?  If so, an example would
be fantastic, I've looked around on the digum list with google, but
can't seem to find anything, perhaps I'm just using the wrong search words?

Also, does my logic seem to make sense?  Again, I would have just loved
to put the TDM400P card in the GW machine, but unfortunately the dd line
to make the CPU go to 100% just isn't very practical since I would like
to use it for more than just *.

If I can think if anything else, I will reply to this post.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction,
Leif Madsen.