[Asterisk-Users] the g729 situation

Thomas Moghnie thomas_moghnie at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 13:35:31 MST 2003

Hi,

On the same note, I am having a problem with G.729, having 4 * asterisk boxes 2 with 10 licenses and one with 2 licenses.

The licenses installs fine, but the codec doesn't work as supposed to be. In path thru situation, where a UA (grandstream phone) is talking to the * that is connected to NuFone over IAX/2 seems to work. But when NuFone stopped supporting G729. The RTP path could not be established (G729->*->SPEEX). However, the following scenario works (G711/GSM->*->SPEEX)

Thanks for your help

Mark Spencer <markster at digium.com> wrote:
> Having purchased a license for 5 g729 channels on Digium's web shop I
> thought registration and installation would be a snap. NOT.
>
> I followed registration instructions to the letter but it failed with
> that message:
>
> ERROR! Your Internet connection is probably behind a proxy and the
> Registration program can't communicate with our server

You can call us for free support on G.729 if you purchased it from us.
877-LINUX-ME just choose "install support".

> Now I wrote to vonage as per the instructions further in the error
> message, requesting a certificate. I'm sure I'm not the only one going
> through all these hoops.

I trust you mean "Voiceage" not "Vonage" but in any case neither will
likely be useful. Definitely should contact us directly.

> - is there a cracked g729 binary out there? (which I plan to use inside
> my license agreement)

Not as far as I know.

> - is it true that * has to be run with -c when using g729 ?

Yes, again we're trying to get Voiceage to fix the issue, but working with
closed source, slow moving, intellectual property based vendors is
generally a pretty miserable experience.

Mark