[Asterisk-Users] (no subject)

T. Chan tommy.chan at utimail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:04:49 MST 2003

Dear All,

I am going to deploy a VOIP network here in Canada with nodes all over town.
This is for long distance services and hence would need a good reliable
solution.

I have looked into * and am very interested in it with all the value-added
features as well as its capability to do H323 and SIP. I understand that a
good portion of VOIP operators in the industy is converting to SIP but there
are still more H323 VOIP operators out there. That is one reason why I am
interested in this solution as it can do both.

Most of my customers and carriers are still on H323 and hence I would need
to make sure that the * is able to talk with most H323 gateways out there in
the market, such as cisco and quintum.

There are two things I would like your comments on to make sure that the
system will serve my purpose. I need my carrier customers to be able to send
calls to my * via H323 VOIP from most H323 gateways and the * to pass
through and route the calls to appropriate carriers with cisco or other
gateways via VOIP, the process will be H323 mostly and some SIP, working
with G723 and / or G729 which are what most VOIP operators are using. In
this situation, the inbound and outbound are both via VOIP, either with H323
or SIP with both G723 and / or G729 codec. Is the application, is *
compatible with most gateways out there?

Another situation is carrier customers will send calls to me to be
terminated on the TDM circuits OR I originate calls from the TDM side to be
terminated on any gateways on the carrier side. In such, there will be a
encoding / decoding process. Would I be able to send calls to most other
gateways from my TDM circuits via VOIP H323 or SIP on g729 / G723 codec?
Likewise for customers calling into my *, would the * be able to decode G729
and G723 to pass calls to the TDM side?

I would love to get some feedbacks and advices (which is greatly
appreciated) from you all who have had experiences in doing this before,
thanks a million.

Tommy Chan