[Asterisk-Users] VIA vs Intel

Kim C. Callis kcallis at c2associates.net
Wed Sep 24 11:17:16 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 10:41, Mike Hjorleifsson wrote:
> Has anyone successfully run asterisk with a VIA processor ?
> I have tried unsucessfully, do I have to run make with any specific switches
> ?

I once used to fight that problem... The VIA would aspire to be a i686,
but it is actually a i586 from a compiler standpoint. So with that, you
need to make a change to you /usr/src/asterisk/Makefile and change the
following:

#ifeq (${OSARCH},Linux)
#PROC=$(shell uname -m)
#endif
# Pentium Pro Optimize
#PROC=i686
                                                                                # Pentium & VIA processors optimize
PROC=i586

Make sure that you comment out the ifeq (${OSARCH},Linux) or else when
the Makefile is running, it will reset the PROC value from i586 back to
i686.

K.