[Asterisk-Users] how many production systems are there?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Sep 20 11:39:44 MST 2003

Steve Totaro wrote:
> i am just curious how many * systems are in the real world with more
> than one user.  do you run a certain version?  you dont update CVS do
> you?  any admins running a system of over twenty?  over fifty?  over
> one-hundred?

I have an interconnected set of asterisk servers which is beginning to
implement a fairly interesting mesh of free local calling across dozens
of exchanges as a value-added service on my wireless WAN.  I have a
dozen or so stations right now talking to a dozen or so "virtual trunks"
to different sources of "office" services.

> obviously you have cornered the open source market.  time to take it
> further.

Sort of impossible to "corner" the OS market, by definition.  That is
another thing that is truly great about the product, beyond its
technical capabilities.

> besides playing with this thing, has anyone deployed it?  what were your
> results, or ongoing results?

Lots of people are deploying it, in more situations that I think you
might imagine.

Oddly perhaps, many are deploying for no gain (or only modest gain)
because it is so very exciting.  We are living in the land of (in my
opinion) the biggest technological paradigm shift of the near future.
IMO it's going to be a verrry exciting ride.

B.