[Asterisk-Users] Budget Hotel PBX

Bill Schultz bill at alaskafax.com
Fri Sep 19 18:28:18 MST 2003

I'm considering using asterisk to replace an existing PBX in a 40 room hotel and
would appreciate any comments, corrections or insight before I begin.

Only 8 PSTN connections are initially required but since the guests need dial-up
internet access in the rooms it has to be Frac-T1 as opposed to using FXO ports on
a channel bank.

IP phones are not an option strictly because of price.  The analog phones must
have FSK message waiting lights instead of the cheaper voltage type since asterisk
doesn't support that.

So, a TE410P {or 400} and two Zhone 24FXS channel banks will be used.  I
couldn't google up any info on what mobo but I'd like to start with a 450mhz since I
have one laying around with 64bit slots but if that's marginal I could get a dual
Athlon server board or whatever.

I'd also greatly appreciate knowing if anyone out there is actually using asterisk in a
similar hotel application today.

TIA