[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P?? [Static problem]

Steve Haehnichen s-asterisk at trix.com
Fri Sep 19 01:56:50 MST 2003

-=> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:32:07 -0400, Sean Rodger <srodger1 at optonline.net> said:

> There seems to be a problem with the (not "my") TDM400P hardware.

> Here is the origional problem:

> Sometimes there is a clean dialtone.
> Sometimes there is a loud crackling sound over the dialtone.

I just recently installed a new TDM400P and I am facing similar problems:

Freshmaker version: 63
Freshmaker passed register test
Module 0: Initialized
Module 1: Not installed
Module 2: Not installed
Module 3: Not installed
Found a Wildcard FXS: Wildcard TDM400P REV E (4 modules)

I have not had the device reset or fail as far as the software is
concerned, but it does have an enormous amount of static on the line.
A phone connected to the TDM400P (only one port) will hear a loud
crackling over the dialtone.

The reverse (microphone) audio is even worse -- almost totally drowned
out by noise.  I can post a recorded sample if it would be helpful,
but it sounds like crispy white noise.

Asterisk can not decode the touch-tones, of course.

Stranger yet, the card seems to have gotten worse over the last four
days.  When it was first installed, it was fine.  Then a little
static, then a lot of static, and now it's useless.  Temperatures have
been stable, and no other hardware changes explain it.

I have tried connecting an 8-pin RJ45 cable with RJ11 adapter, with no
improvement.

> "Power alarm on module N, resetting!"

I do not get this error.

I have only one phone attached.  I've tried multiple known-good
phones.  I have the power connector attached (since it would not work
without it).

The machine (Intel P-III) has been stable for over two years and has
four other PCI cards in it.  The X101P Wildcard FXO works fine.

I'm looking for clues as well, especially regarding the degenerate
behavior.

-Steve