[Asterisk-Users] LineJack + Asterisk HELP!

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Sep 16 11:06:26 MST 2003

Zara Trousk wrote:

>( Nobody explained me properly why the code was not developed but as you know Asterisk is Digium and
> Digium makes voice boards, so... In other words, what they are saying is: Buy Digium.

I think that's unfair. Asterisk is Open Source - everyone's free to add or change stuff they need.
And a lot of people are contributing, either with code or by other means.

Digium is trying to build an open source business, which means that the stuff added by
Digium is functions customers pay for or stuff they enjoy developing. There are several
ways to get revenues being an Open Source software company - MySQL have one way, Digium
another, selling hardware that works in an excellent way with the software.

There are other drivers, like chan_capi, developed by non-Digium staff and distributed in
other means. There's propably room for companies wanting to develop proprietary drivers
as well.

If you need a new driver, pay someone to do it, and don't forget to add it to
the Open Source base. Either to the Digium distribution by signing the agreement with
Digium or by setting up a SourceForge project and distributing the driver with your
own Copyright and your choice of license agreement.

If you go through the mail archives, there's been a lot of discussions about cooperative
funding of additions to Asterisk that many need (or ports to FreeBSD :-)

What you ask for might be one such addition - but you won't find out if you complain over
Digium instead of asking.

/O