[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 Firmware Upgrade

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Sep 16 10:39:27 MST 2003

> I upgraded my 7960 firmware to ver 4.4.  I now can't make any calls and
> I get errors "(retrans_packet) on call" on the console maximum retries
> exceeded.  And ideas?

Kevin,

I upgraded to identical 7960's to v4.4, one upgraded fine and the second
had several issues. There has been a few recommendations posted by others
including:
 1. upgrade the 7960 one version at a time starting in the v2 or early v3
    before going to v4.4 (apparently each version does something in terms
    of formating NVRAM, etc).
 2. Remove the comment lines from the SIPDefault config file.

The second item fixed my 7960 problem and has not resurfaced in more then
a week. On the surface it would appear the extra comment lines are either
over-running some internal buffer/memory, or, the exact size of the data
packets being transmitted via tftp (particularily the last one) might be
creating heart burn for tftp. (Having tried/used several different tftp
software packages over the years to upgrade Cisco and Nortel routers, it
has been fairly common to find tftp implementation problems. Don't know
if this is the case with the 7960, but item #2 seems to have corrected my
problems.)

Rich