[Asterisk-Users] Hardware Vendors for Asterisk other than "DIGIUM"

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Sep 15 13:08:23 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:49, Tarun Banka wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Could you please suggest me other hardware vendors whose FXS, FXO
> interfaces are compatible with Asterisk. I am aware that Digium
> products work well but I would be interested in knowing about
> other options available in the market.

There is only one other good choice of open source hardware and that is
Voicetronix cards. At $895 for 6 ports, it is way more expensive than
Digium equipment. They are considerably more expensive though and do not
contribute to the stability of Digium.

If you go for one of the other proprietary providers like Dialogic, you
will have to pay a licensing fee for the asterisk code to deal with the
non GPLed nature of the drivers you will need. You also may be blocking
yourself from legally using certain third part patches that may be
developed since you will no longer be using a fully GPLed version of
asterisk. Take note how Cisco had to release all their firewall code for
a linksys router because it was built up on an embedded linux software
platform.

If you are wanting to develop on asterisk or for asterisk, then you
should consider the digium hardware.