[Asterisk-Users] [Release] Skinny Support in cvs

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Sep 14 13:27:46 MST 2003

>If you have been paying attention, you already know this, but this
>weekend I have spent time ironing out the various details with my
>chan_skinny code that has been out there, if you knew where to look.
>I believe I now have all basic features operational and am going to
>be working on getting the class 5 (hold, transfers, call waiting and
>caller*id, etc) operational in the comming week(s).
>I have personally tested this code on 7910 and 12SP+'s and will soon
>dive into a 7960.  There currently may be issues with 7920s and
>ATAs, but with some proper debug information and/or the acutal
>device in my grubby mitts I am sure I can get around any nuances.
>
>If you have an issue with this code please use
>http://bugs.digium.com.  Patches are absolutely apprecaited, however
>you should check with me before spending time as it may be a feature
>I have already played with locally and haven't gotten around to
>intergrating it into the mainline CVS code.
>
>I would like to thank miro_ for his patience and fnancial support,
>along with [Sim], klasstek, bkw_,  PavelL,  theo and ManxPower for
>willingly diving into nearly untested code and debuging.
>
>Lastly, we cannot forget Mark Spencer for this absolutely amazing
>piece of software!
>
>A quick sample config:
>
>skinny.conf:
>
>; Typical config for a 7910
>[jeremy]                                 ; Device name
>device=SEP0007EB363201                   ; Offical identifier
>(SEP+<mac adress>)
>context=default
>line => 500
>
>extensions.conf:
>exten => 1234,1,Dial,SKINNY/500 at jeremy|25|r
>
>Disclaimer:  All research and development of chan_skinny is for the
>sole purpose of writing interoperable software under Sect. 1201 (f)
>Reverse Engineering exception of the DMCA. The Skinny Client Control
>Protocol is a Cisco Systems Incorporated Trademark.  chan_skinny is
>distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty
>of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>Jeremy McNamara

Jeremy -
   I'd just like to post an appreciative note on your (and other's)
work on this so far.  This is a great step for Asterisk, and this
will hopefully open up some very inexpensive phone options that have
"interesting" features.  (The 7905G is $165!)  Also,I hope to see
some of the interesting operator console options integrate into
Asterisk, since that is a sorely lacking feature right now (the 7914,
as an example.)  Plus, features like intercom and paging have been
lacking in other versions of SIP phones, and perhaps that will be a
selling point for Asterisk now that the basic components of those
features are in the SCCP code.

   More than that, it should pave the way for mixed-server
environments, which will be a big leg up for open-source integration
into closed-source deployments.  I hope to see this become more
robust as more people deploy it and post patches and comments.

   These are nice features, and in some limited circumstances and
architectures they may edge out SIP or at least be options used in
parallel with SIP devices, since Asterisk is able to so flexibly
handle multiple protocols.  Thanks again for opening up a new field
for us!