[Asterisk-Users] Legal Interception - tapping

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Sep 12 12:07:00 MST 2003

[top-posting madness continued]

Instead of making Asterisk do this work, wouldn't it make more sense
to just have a "smart" ethernet sniffer that handled the whole
transaction?  I have no details on it, but I would guess that the
previously-named "Carnivore" project here in the USA and it's related
brethren elsewhere are probably capable of such intercept if they
have visibility of all SIP setup and RTP packets.

Extracting those features out into a commercial product would not be
terribly difficult, and I strongly suspect if I spent a few hours
with Google I would find a vendor already selling such a product for
an eye-popping sum of money.

That being said against modifying Asterisk, here is an agreeing view:

Asterisk already has the ability to record specific conversations
with fairly simple dialplan logic, as I've demonstrated with my
sample files.  A clever programmer could modify Dave Troy's "ZapScan"
application to use any channel type, I'm sure, and relay that
information out to an alternate channel that turned voice streams to
.mp3 codec form to be streamed to some local relay agent (shoutcast,
icecast) and from there across a VPN to Langley, Linthicum, or your
local sheriff's office.  Since Asterisk can record things already,
that's a "given".   With 250gb disks now commonplace, I can fit a
terabyte into a 1u PC.  Let's see... with GSM files being ~100kb per
minute of two-leg conversations, and let's say 1 entire PRI at 50%
usage (yes, that's a high Erlang, but this is back-of-napkin) that
turns into (very roughly) almost two years of recording of every
single conversation on a PRI.

I'm sure someone could make a tidy sum of money deploying this type
of system, even if they gave the modifications back to the community
as per the GPL license as they are obligated to do if it becomes a
"resold product".  A T400P card in a good-quality rackmount PC (total
cost for both, with a terabyte of disk: ~$5200) could become a
completely "transparent" monitoring system that could be inserted at
the carrier's office or even closer, and the subscriber to the PRI
would never know it was there.  As long as there was Internet access
somehow, this could be monitored and commanded remotely.  Law
enforcement is always willing to pay good money to technical firms to
install stuff, even if it's open-source.

In short: Asterisk is already an almost-ideal call recording platform
with no modifications.  With few modifications, it could easily work
as a "live" intercept system with incredible flexibility.

(PS: I am a consultant, so any law enforcement agencies reading this
should feel free to shower me with money.)

(PPS: Ethical note - I am a big fan of strong crypto, individual
rights, and a rollback of many of the current "basic rights"
encroachments that have occurred in the recent years in the US (and
even in the EU.)  However, I also recognize the completely legitimate
and necessary use of wiretaps in circumstances that are legally
warranted, and I believe that law enforcement should use every tool
that they are legally allowed.)

JT