[Asterisk-Users] 7206 as SIP->PSTN Gateway?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Sep 12 11:27:38 MST 2003

>All,
>
>I know you can use, say, a 2620 w/2 port FXO card as a SIP gateway.
>Clearly you can use the 5300, 5800, and MGX8850 too.  Does anyone know
>which cards, if any, exist for a 7206VXR to act in a similar capacity,
>either as a T1/PRI, DS3, or POTS FXO/FXS?
>
>What other Cisco routers can act as SIP gateways today?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

>David C. Troy   [dave at toad.net]                   410-384-2500 Sales
>ToadNet - Want to go fast?                        410-544-1329 FAX
>570 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD 21146-2925  www.toad.net

More notes:

I am currently using 36xx systems as SIP gateways in some locations.
There are VoIP NM cards for those platforms, though they are NOT
cheap, even on the used market.  You'd be much better served from an
economic standpoint by getting a slew of el-cheapo rackmount PC's and
using Digium cards.  Even if the failure rate is higher (which, in my
experience, is not the case,) you can do failover quite easily
(easier?) using IAX2 to your edge devices.  Plus, in my opinion, the
Ciscos are lacking many features that Asterisk provides as a gateway
device.  ("Can you compile your own software on your Cisco?" and many
others which are obvious and on which I will not elaborate.)

Cards: NM-1v or NM-2v for POTS
        NM-HDV-1T1-12  - 1 port, 12 channels
        NM-HDV-[1,2]T1-[24,48]  - 2 ports, 24 or 48 channels

There are equivalent E1 cards, change the numbers to match (30 or 60 ports)

JT