[Asterisk-Users] Start of all recordings cut off

wasim at convergence.com.pk wasim at convergence.com.pk
Wed Sep 10 23:29:41 MST 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> > Before running any application that has sound playback (Playback,
> > Background, VoiceMailMain2, etc.) it would be wise to execute an Answer
> > first, then a Wait(2) to allow for VoIP channels to fully establish and
> > settle.
>
> John, in order to clarify before I add this to the Wiki - is it wise (an advice)
> or necessary (it does not work otherwise)?

Its considered Good Practice(tm), since it'll cause something (like AGI
dtmf recoginition that arroc couldn't get to work, till he put an Answer
in the dialplan). So, get in the habit of Answering your channels and then
proceeding.

Also, instead of a wait(2), we generally background an innocous music or a
prompt for say 2 seconds, thus, people aren't waiting in dead-air, get
some audio-feedback, and if the prompt is truncated, it doesn't matter
since it was just a feeder in the first place. Wait will also not take any
DTMF input during that time, so repeat users are stuck for that time.

Ofcourse if you notice a significant % of your VoIP sessions take time to
settle, then best do a Wait(2), no point in send garble-jumble down the
line. JT, as usual has very valuable suggestions.

 - wasim