[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940/7960 XML application hint

Doug Dimick doug at dimick.net
Thu Sep 11 08:55:09 MST 2003

> Message: 4
> From: "Paul Crick" <web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com>
<snip>
> That sounds cool! Where did you get the info on Cisco XML stuff and would
> you be willing to share?
>
> Cheers
> Paul

I downloaded the SDK from Cisco and looked at the included ASP/JSP
applications for some hints as well as the documentation they included. I
also looked the the Perl Cisco::IPPhone CPAN module
(http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Cisco) for syntax, but am not
actually using it. It just seemed that PHP was more appropriate to this
type of application than Perl. The Cisco XML syntax is straightforward,
although it appears that the SIP image does not support assignment of the
softkeys. It also doesn't support the http expires header, which is
supposed to be used by the phone to determine which pages to keep in its
browser history. I would bet that these would not be issues with the SCCP
image, but I have not had a chance to mess with the Asterisk SCCP module
yet.

Assuming you already have working 7940s or 7960s, you need to edit your
SIPDefault.cnf file on your tftp server. The "services_url" and
"directory_url" variables should point to your web server. For example:

services_url: "http://192.168.200.254/asterisk/services/"

You can assign "logo_url" to point at a 256-color Windows BMP image on
your web server. Took me forever to figure that one out, as in every other
case the phone wants images in CIP format. The Cisco::IPPhone module
includes methods for converting PNG and JPEG images to CIP on the fly for
using images in your applications, and I have not attempted to figure out
how to do this in PHP yet. For example:

logo_url: "http://192.168.200.254/asterisk/logo/asterisk.bmp"

My PHP source is very ugly at the moment with quick hacks and no error
trapping to speak of, but you are welcome to it. Everything except the
logo is GPL, and the x10 script is a derived work of PHP-x10.

I'll look at the terms of the Cisco SDK license and see if I can post the
document that describes the Cisco XML syntax.

Phone directory search.
http://doug.dimick.net/asterisk/directory.tar.bz2

Lousy Asterisk logo by yours truly.
http://doug.dimick.net/asterisk/logo.tar.bz2

Phone directory maintenance (add/remove entries) and X10 lighting controls.
http://doug.dimick.net/asterisk/services.tar.bz2

     -d