[Asterisk-Users] newbie help.

Timothy Soos XQL at americanisp.net
Thu Sep 11 01:03:16 MST 2003

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 09:47 am, Steve Bradwell wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am a newbie looking to learn about Asterisk. I'm new to IVR and all
> that goes with it. I would like to know if it is possible to grab the
> number of an incoming call, have Asterisk, or third party software
> return the call with an automated voice message allowing the original
> placer of the call to select another person to call (eg "Select 1 for
> Bob") then have Asterisk automatically place that call for the person.
Yes, Asterisk can do this as I understand Asterisk.  I may be worng on that, I
am still learning about asterisk.

> Is this a complex solution?
That depends largely on your definition of "complex".  By my standard, this
would not be very complex to do.

> Would anyone mind giving me some direction and possibly filling me in
> on if this is possible?
Sure.  Read this article first:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html

Then read the Asterisk Handbook:
http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=asterisk_handbook
and everything at:
http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=documentation

Here is a resource about Asterisk scripting, links, tips, and other help:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk

>Also how customizable is Asterisk and what
> language do I use to customize or develop for it?
Asterisk is extremely customizable.  You can develop in nearly any language
you want.  A favorite on this list seems to be Perl.

--
Thanks,
Timothy Soos