[Asterisk-Users] Endpoint-to-Endpoint RTP Packets

Sean P. Robertson spr at netxusa.com
Wed Sep 10 09:45:06 MST 2003

I agree with you about warning that some SIP phones, especially the Cisco
phones, do not handle this well.

Also,  should "can reinvite=yes" in the example be "canreinvite=yes" without
the space or will it work either way?

It might also be useful to note in the documentation that these settings
make Endpoint-to-Endpoint RTP possible because, initially the RTP is routed
by the Asterisk regardless of settings.  If these settings are set to "yes",
very quickly after the call is established and the OK's are sent, the
Asterisk sends another INVITE message to each endpoint in which the RTP
connection address is changed to be the address of the opposite endpoint
rather than the address of the Asterisk.  If the endpoints can handle the
new INVITE (reinvite) then the RTP stream starts flowing directly between
the endpoints.

Sean