[Asterisk-Users] Having problems with S100U

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Wed Sep 10 08:37:27 MST 2003

I've tested the S100U unit in two different computers both with
different USB subsystems.  The one it worked the best in used the
usb-uhci USB driver.  The other system uses the usb-ohci USB driver.  To
make sure it was not the installation, I used the same hard drive that
had asterisk in both systems.  And I moved the X101P and S100U between
both systems to test.

I'm using debian testing with a custom compiled
vanilla+debianlogo+freeswan+preempt(with and without preempt still have
the exact same issues) 2.4.21 kernel.  I used the CVS version of * from
2003-09-08.

First, on the usb-uhci machine, if I attempt to use uhci, the moment
after the driver says:

usb.c: registered new driver wcusb
wcusb: wc_detect_device
Second exit

the machine locks up completely.  I cannot even ping it after that or
switch virtual terminals or anything.  Hard reset is necessary.  Not
even unplugging the S100U does anything.  And this is the machine the
S100U works the "best" on (out of the two I tested with).  When using
usb-uhci, the device is detected fine, but almost immediately and at a
periodic interval around 2-3 seconds thereafter, a message is dumped
onto the console and into the kernel logs:

usb-uhci.c: iso_find_start: gap in seamless isochronous scheduling

Right before this message is dumped to the screen (and logs), a "glitch"
will happen to the handset connected to the S100U with the effect
noticed being that no audio or dialtone or key presses or general
input/output to/from the handset is processed.  It's making it very
difficult to use the system.  Although, if I press the phone digits long
enough, I can eventually make it into the voice mail system.  But I have
an even harder time listening to the vm system since the voice prompts
keep getting cut off at key points (like: press ... listen to new ... 2
to switch ...oxes, etc.).  Of course, each time this happens, the above
message is spit out on the screen.

It's even worse on the usb-ohci machine.  Most of the time, the S100U
doesn't even give me dialtone.  * always sees the handset pickup and
hangup, but only extremely rarely do I get dialtone.  And sometimes,
usually right after I receive dialtone, if I hangup and then pickup the
handset again, I am greeted with what appears to be a very sad attempt
at dialtone, almost like a canary growling.  Very much lower pitched
than dialtone and "slower".  It's almost like the system is running
dialtone through molasses.  So I switched back to the usb-uhci machine
because at least it's partly working.

Any thoughts?  Previous e-mails on this list that I found tend to make
me think the S100U may be starting to die.  But I hope it's just a
kernel or driver issue.

Thanks.

NOTE:  Dialing into the X101P on either system worked flawlessly.  I
don't think there is anything wrong with the X101P.

- --
Jason A. Pattie
pattieja at xperienceinc.com
Xperience, Inc. (http://www.xperienceinc.com)