[Asterisk-Users] freebsd and asterisk ?? anyone yet

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Wed Sep 10 05:53:23 MST 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:13:02PM -0500, denon wrote:
> With regards to Asterisk on FBSD, I for one would love to see it happen.  I
> prefer FreeBSD over Linux in almost every case.
>
> However, personally I have a few concerns:
>
> Namely, the primary developer is a Linux nut .. (sorry Mark, I mean that in
> a good way :).  I'd hate to see development efforts get split up, and more
> time spent on porting/etc efforts, detracting from primary development.  If
> it's now slowing down new development, it's always a step behind while
> someone patches up the current builds.

in theory, the only real issues would be hardware/driver related.

any excentricities the SCO-linux people add to the code can usually be
ifdef'd back to normality.  8^)

> The other aspect of this whole thing, is that most people's PBX is an
> entirely standalone machine (or should be).  Aside from AGI/etc which
> generally have to run locally (but are also usually very cross-platform
> anway), I can't understand why someone would prefer it on one OS over
> another.  I mean, by the time you strip down the linux install to make it
> rock-stable, it's basically a kernel, compiler, and a handful of
> dependances. Does it really matter what OS it runs on at this point, as
> long as it's a robust kernel?

i don't have any linux machines on my network to maintain, and i'd prefer
not to add one just for this application.

if the project is truly open source, then we should be able to make it go on
a variety of platforms.

> Feel free to prove me long -- generally I'm a "right OS for the job" kind
> of guy, but in the case of "appliances", it seems like the above logic
> makes sense.

i don't view asterisk as an appliance.  i see it as an application running
on a server where it may very well have to interact with other applications.
(radius? named? mysql/postgres? etc)

some of these other applications might be what is determining what the "right
OS for the job" is.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim at reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]