[Asterisk-Users] freebsd and asterisk ?? anyone yet

denon denon at denon.cx
Tue Sep 9 16:13:02 MST 2003

With regards to Asterisk on FBSD, I for one would love to see it happen.  I
prefer FreeBSD over Linux in almost every case.

However, personally I have a few concerns:

Namely, the primary developer is a Linux nut .. (sorry Mark, I mean that in
a good way :).  I'd hate to see development efforts get split up, and more
time spent on porting/etc efforts, detracting from primary development.  If
it's now slowing down new development, it's always a step behind while
someone patches up the current builds.

The other aspect of this whole thing, is that most people's PBX is an
entirely standalone machine (or should be).  Aside from AGI/etc which
generally have to run locally (but are also usually very cross-platform
anway), I can't understand why someone would prefer it on one OS over
another.  I mean, by the time you strip down the linux install to make it
rock-stable, it's basically a kernel, compiler, and a handful of
dependances. Does it really matter what OS it runs on at this point, as
long as it's a robust kernel?

Feel free to prove me long -- generally I'm a "right OS for the job" kind
of guy, but in the case of "appliances", it seems like the above logic
makes sense.

Thoughts?

-d