[Asterisk-Users] Endpoint-to-Endpoint RTP Packets

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Tue Sep 9 13:26:35 MST 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Eric Wieling wrote:

> Transcoding would be required for access to ANY of the asterisk
> sound files, voicemail and PSTN via Zap interfaces.

If you are using G711 ulaw from the SIP phones, and that is what
you are getting from the T1 PSTN link, would * have to transcode
that?  Is there more to it than digital to digital copy?  Perhaps
echo canceling?

Can we also store sound files in ulaw?  I know that takes more
space, but perhaps it is less CPU work to move the bits around
than to codec them.

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 voice
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
2626 Kotter Ave, Unit D                 mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47715                    http://www.ciholas.com