[Asterisk-Users] Fax

David Carr dac1 at drgutah.com
Tue Sep 9 11:05:02 MST 2003

The hardware we are using for the asterisk server is a 2U server with dual
Xeon procs. It has a 4-port T1 card in it. Two ports are used for voice T1s.
Port #3 connects to an Adit 600 channel bank with 8 FXO ports and 16 FXS
ports. Our hylafax modems are plugged into the fxs ports. The modems we use
for hylafax are BestData external (serial) modems that support callerID
(~$35 each).

Although I've never tried to fax over sip, we have faxed successfully over
iax on a 100 Mbps LAN. We haven't had much luck trying to fax over iax to
remote offices on our wan, although I can't say we have tested it since Mark
has added his latest enhancements. Faxing over the wan would be an
improvement where physical machines are involved, but not needed for hylafax
where our best results have occured when the fax fxs ports are on the same
machine that receives the inbound call so asterisk just does a zap native
bridge.