[Asterisk-Users] Has the "allow=all" function changed in sip.conf?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Sep 9 10:26:20 MST 2003

I had posted earlier asking about a Snom200 communicating with a C7960
and lots of noise in one direction. Turned out the problem was created
by me removing the allow=all statement in sip.conf. Someone had suggested
that statement is no longer needed, and using allow=ulaw, etc, had an issue
where one or more deny's had to be used as well.

By adding allow=ulaw in the sip.conf file, the Snom now correctly interacts
with the C7960. Both phones have their defaults set to the same, however the
v2.1l Snom code apparently has a problem negotiating that correctly.

What is the general consciences for the "allow=all" statement?  Should it be
used, should it be specific towards those codecs supported, or removed?