[Asterisk-Users] Newbie IVR question

Tom Forbes landslide_x at comcast.net
Sat Sep 6 22:43:17 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 10:00, listbox at adamsbrothers.com wrote:
>
>>php is not just a web scripting language anymore.  it has been used in
>>other ways for quite a while now.  it works nicely from the command line,
>>can be used with ncurses and with gtk.  there are several well-known
>>respectable large projects out there built upon php.  i usually find that
>>php's biggest critics are those who know the least about the language.
>>however that holds true with pretty much any technology.  linux suffers
>>from the same type of critics.
>

> Just to point out, I am a php developer. I actually am employed to
> create and maintain a large webapp in php.
>
> I like the fact that I can take my php or perl scripts and not have to
> change much to them to work in the other language. Well if they are
> simple enough. There is enough well known documented problems with php.

Such as?

> Just saying that because it is used in large projects doesn't change
> whether it is suited to the task. There are enough people on this
> planet, that statistically you will find enough people who refuse to
> admit the are using a square peg for the round hole.

If we go back to PERL's roots, we find that it was never intended as a
general, all-purpose language, but one for extracting and formatting
data. Now it seems as though it's being touted as the cure-all for
*anything* that requires scripting. PHP's intent, on the other hand was
a bit more sophisticated. Being a "web-based" scripting languange, it,
by necessity, had to interface with other components (and do it
efficiently) in order to acquire, manipulate, and pass data between the
  user and any backend processes.

I'm more curious to know what exactly it is about AGI scripting that
would make PHP an inappropriate choice.

[snip]

Regards,

Tom