[Asterisk-Users] MP3 streams for MOH: idea

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Sep 6 17:57:05 MST 2003

[thread change, different topic]
>is there a clean way to have MOH (Music on Hold) source
>its audio from say a  MS-ASF streem ???
>
>got a radio station that wants to have their MOH come
>from their ASF based netbroadcast

I have run out of time for fooling around today, but I started to
think about this one but have no time (or ability) to build this
little glue program.  Perhaps something that uses named pipes would
allow this to happen.  Do you know of any tools that convert ASF to
mp3?

How about a little tiny program that connects to a remote host, grabs
the contents of an MP3 stream, and pushes it into a FIFO locally?  It
would be a raw TCP-to-FIFO stream, so mpg123 would be able to digest
it as if it was a local file.  The program would take two arguments:
remote hostname/IP and port, and then the file to which the output
would be sent.  I don't know how mpg123 handles blocking...

Let's say you have a streaming music source in .mp3 format, on 10.0.3.1:8000

mkfifo /var/lib/asterisk/stream1.mp3
./backtoback 10.0.3.1:8000 /var/lib/asterisk/stream1.mp3

Then...
; musiconhold.conf
default => quietmp3:/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3

JT