[Asterisk-Users] Hardware IAX phone (please read and reply!)

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Fri Sep 5 13:02:20 MST 2003

> Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 03:25, Marcel Prisi wrote:
> >>This is a completely open-source and open-hardware hardware phone
based
> >>on Linux on an ARM embedded platform ... they already had lots of
> >>experience ... but might need some different software ...
> >
> > bzzzt. wrong. There is a lot known about the hardware but it is not
> > open. The software is only open after it was reloaded with debian.
Also
> > while the site you list was cheap, if you dig round, the
manufacturing
> > cost was over $300 each and target retail was over %600. Granted
that
> > was over 3 years ago, it wouldn't have dropped in price too
> > significantly. The site you list was liquidating the last known
> > inventory of those units.

The other problem with the touchscreens and VoIP is that the telephone
audio circuitry was not accessible by software running on the phone.
Here is a block diagram:

http://www.blurbco.com/~gork/tuxscreen/shanblock.gif

A modification (ShanIP2) was designed to make the handset/speakerphone
audio to/from the dsp accessible via the UCB1200 audio chip, and I had
designed a PCB for the circuit here:

http://www.blurbco.com/~gork/tuxscreen/shanip2-gork8.gif

> So have a look there :
>
> http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/
>
> You will find there the hardware that evolved from what was in the
> Tuxscreen. It's license is open. It runs a 220Mhz StrongARM with more
> than 200 MIPS and has options for ethernet and sound i/o, all is
> linux-compatible ...

The LART was actually around before the tuxscreen, and although it is
similar, you'll find that most SA1XXX based designs are. It is still a
good little board and fun to work with, as is the Tuxscreen if you can
still pick one up used from someone. Anyway, since this is starting now
getting pretty offtopic, I should probably leave it at this...

John