[Asterisk-Users] app_queue input needed...

McAughan, Matt MMcAughan at synhrgy.com
Fri Sep 5 12:51:43 MST 2003

There is one thing you have to look out for. Wait time is affected only by
the number of calls in front of you, not total calls, the number of agents
answering, and the length of calls.

I say this because if you are going to update the announcer x seconds,
depending on the calculation the caller may experience, "your wait time is 5
minutes", "your wait time is 25 minutes", "your wait time is 7 minutes".
That makes me want to hang up as well. On our (non Asterisk) phone system we
avoid this by just announcing the average wait time once, when the caller
enters the queue.

I think the proper calculation should be a running average of time to answer
over the last X period, with a factor taking in to account average agents
logged in over that period. Something like average wait time per agent per
period. Then factor  that against your current queue position (calls
entering behind you have no affect on your wait time) and current number of
agents (more could log in to help out or drop off). What the proper period
factor is I don't know. 30 seconds, 1 minute, after each hang up? Too
frequently it will fluctuate wildly. Too infrequent it will show residual
affects.