[Asterisk-Users] Hardware IAX phone (please read and reply!)

Marcel Prisi marcel at virtua.ch
Fri Sep 5 06:58:35 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 03:25, Marcel Prisi wrote:
>
>>I must say that I would be EXTREMELY interested in distributing such
>>phones here in Switzerland ... We see a lot of demand here ... I am even
>>willing to beta-test if needed.
>>
>>For hardware/software infos, have a look at :
>>
>>http://www.tuxscreen.net/
>>
>>This is a completely open-source and open-hardware hardware phone based
>>on Linux on an ARM embedded platform ... they already had lots of
>>experience ... but might need some different software ...
>

> bzzzt. wrong. There is a lot known about the hardware but it is not
> open. The software is only open after it was reloaded with debian. Also
> while the site you list was cheap, if you dig round, the manufacturing
> cost was over $300 each and target retail was over %600. Granted that
> was over 3 years ago, it wouldn't have dropped in price too
> significantly. The site you list was liquidating the last known
> inventory of those units.

So have a look there :

http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/

You will find there the hardware that evolved from what was in the
Tuxscreen. It's license is open. It runs a 220Mhz StrongARM with more
than 200 MIPS and has options for ethernet and sound i/o, all is
linux-compatible ...

Maybe useful for prototyping ?