[Asterisk-Users] Pointer to upgrade 7960sip beyond v3.2.0?

Andrew Gillham gillham at vaultron.com
Thu Sep 4 22:56:10 MST 2003

Rich Adamson wrote:

> I've can now get to the net & sip configuration panel, and I've got
> SIPDefault.cnt
> file that gets loaded at boot time. One of two 7960's is upgraded to
> v4.4, however
> the second one constantly reboots (only with v4.4) and never gets to a
> usable
> status. Using a sniffer trace to observe, the reboot happens after dhcp is
> proper and SIPdefault is read by the phone (via tftp). Within
> milliseconds of
> reading that file, the phone reboots, then repeats the same process.
> The first
> phone boots v4.4 correctly every time.

Check the 'Boot Load ID' under settings, 5, 3.  They are probably
different on the
two phones.  A 7960 of mine running 4.4 has PC030300, while a 7960G
running 5.3 has
PC030301.

I believe the boot code should get updated once you cleanly boot the 4.4
code, but potentially you have to load 3.2.2, then 3.2.3, then 4.4.0 to
get updated correctly.

Also, telnet in and do 'show flash' to see what you have loaded there.
Normally
you'll have two copies of the current working code, APP1 and APP2, plus
DSP code.

The output of 'show config' might be useful to look at as well.

I had a similar problem with having to load a stripped SIPDefault.cnf,
but I needed to
load 3.2.2 on my phone first before upgrading from the old skinny image
that was on it.

Basically the phone kept rebooting because it would load the image, but
it failed
the internal version check because the old boot code couldn't comprehend
the image
names with '-' characters.  That is why it was necessary to boot 3.2.2
first as it
was apparently the last code that could be booted by the old boot code,
but was able
to update it and load the newer code.

> Late yesterday, I removed the statements in SIPdefault after comments
> relative
> to "...added in Release 3.1" and the unstable phone will bootup and
> stay working
> on v4.4. If I add those config statements, the constant reboot happens
> again.

I'm not sure what is going on here, since older boot code shouldn't
really be able
to load the 4.4 and run, but you might be caught in between usuable boot
codes.

The old SCCP code -> SIP 3.2.2 -> SIP 3.2.3 -> SIP 4.4 worked ok for me.
Let me know via private email (not just 'reply') if you still need help.

> Is there an administrators or diagnostic manual fot the 7960sip, or
> has cisco
> left it up to all of us to figure out how to diagnose strange problems
> like this?

There are more details available, but you may need to have a CCO account
to access
the documents.

> I'm somewhat reluctant to try v5.4 code given the warning that one
> can't go back.

Unless you're hoping to load Linux or some pirate image in the future,
there is no
reason to stay with the old code.
At least I have not experienced any new issues I can attribute to the
update to 5.3 code.

-Andrew