[Asterisk-Users] Modems and Tivos? Oh my!

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Thu Sep 4 16:26:03 MST 2003

> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 17:22, Peter Pauly wrote:
>> Does the Digium FXS card support modems (and Tivo devices)?
>> If so, to what speed have they been tested?

Assuming that you can do native zaptel bridging (Going from an FXS port to
an FXO port in the same machine), you should be able to get up to 33.6.
No 56k, unfortunately, because of the multiple D/A & A/D conversions.

If you're codecing the audio and passing it over IP, you should be able to
get 33.6 if you use ulaw (non-compressed) encoding.  Any of the
compression based codecs will most likely make your modem link up at 9600
or a flaky 14.4.

> Why would one use dialup for a TiVo. My TiVo has never touched a
> telephone line ever. When I bought it I hacked it to work over my cable
> modem link using PPP to my workstation and have never risked loosing the
> internal hardware.

Or spend a few bucks and get yourself one of the ethernet card kits.  Then
you don't have to worry about ppp connections and you can drag the video
off the unit as well.