[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk vs. Vocal (Vovida) vs. Bayonne

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Sep 4 09:57:42 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 09:43, asterisk at icus.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I love Asterisk, have been using it for a while now.  I'd like to know if
> anyone has some good comparison points on Asterisk vs. Vocal (Vovida) vs.
> GNU Bayonne.  I know only a little about the later two.

search the archive with google. It is there already.

> Also, one drawback I've hard about Asterisk (not for me, but for general
> consumption/deployment) is easy of configuration -- people like GUIs.  They
> want point-n-click.  I'm a "vi" guy with CLI preferences.  Gastman handles
> monitoring (astman too) but it doesn't handle the configuration piece (that
> I see?)

PBX configuration is not for a "point and drool idiot". You must make
intelligent considerations for call volume, deployment of equipment to
satisfy needs, and understanding of how adding extensions in one area
changes what is available in others unless it is segregated
appropriately.

> I've seen some rumors/proof of concepts to PHP web-based front end to
> configuration?  (Basically create and extension, voicemail box, etc.. -- I
> know it would be fairly trivial, but... Has anyone tackled that?)

It is possible to do it, it is possible to make a generic extension
logic that allows extensions to be made simply by creating a voice
mailbox. But see above comment on why that isn't really a good thing to
do.