[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 ports usage

Ian Blenke icblenke at nks.net
Thu Sep 4 08:39:32 MST 2003

 > Denzel said:
>>HI!
>>but when making iax2 calls, a packet monitor would only reveal this UDP port. (Between two * servers) ??????
>>    4569  proto: U

This is correct. IAX uses 5036 and IAX2 uses 4569, ONLY. Both include
signalling *and* voice, there is no RTP with these transports.

>>( I would assume even the RTP headers get enclosed by UDP, so there should have been more UDP port variants. Not the case when monitored.)

RTP is UDP based protocol, it uses dynamically assigned UDP ports for
communication.

IAX/IAX2 do NOT use RTP.

>>I've got these in my rtp.conf
>>    rtpstart=10000
>>    rtpend=20000
>>Does it mean RTP use the above udp port range ?( 10000~20000).

Yes, for all protocols that use RTP as a transport (SIP, H.323, etc).

>>  From: Wade J. Weppler
>>  The RDP packets need to be dealt with as well.

No "RTP" packets with IAX/IAX2.

>>  hi all !
>>
>>      we've got IAX2 protocol working between several Asterisk servers. Now we are concerned with doing bandwidth management to maintain an acceptable voice quality. We thought of prioritizing the udp traffic. ( Giving a high priority to those IAX2 udp ports.)
>>
>>      I know that IAX2 uses udp/4569. Is there any other traffic/ports that we need to consider for bandwidth shaping w.r.t IAX2.

The correct answer to your question the first time should have been "No,
there are no other ports to worry about".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke at nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: