[Asterisk-Users] Newbee Question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Sep 3 13:17:49 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 14:51, Hemant Kumar wrote:
> I am new to this list, and I searched to find the answer to my question, but
> could not find it.

Then you didn't do much if any looking. The information is there. In the
interest of not just loosing the fire hose on you, below is your
answers.

> Can I do the following using "Asterisk" ...
>
> Load Asterisk on a PC running linux. Logon to VoIP service like
> http://www.freeworldialup.com/ to using your ethernet. Asterisk, routes the
> call from the PC to a regular phone connected to through the modem. When I
> am receiving the VOIP call, I hear the ring on my phone connected to the
> modem.
>
> Has anybody done it? Can you please direct me to the instructions for the
> same.

You can not use modems. You should review some basic telephony books to
understand the signaling between the switch and the handset.
Specifically the use of battery, and who or what devices provide it and
which devices use it. It is a good chance every piece of telephony
hardware you have touched is a FXO device. This means it is a consumer
of the battery or easier to remember is that it points to the Foreign
eXchange office. To use them you need a FXS port to provide battery
power and ring voltages. These are the devices that Digium sells. You
will want one of the Wildcard boards that are capable of 1-4 ports of
FXS, and soon FXO. This would let you configure up the number of
extensions and lines you wish to use. You could even plug your home
phone line into your asterisk machine and have it ring the same phone
that your FWD account rings.

As for FWD, some have been able to from time to time. I have not, but I
didn't try too hard either.