[Asterisk-Users] OT - Headsets for Cisco 7940/7960

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Sep 3 11:50:07 MST 2003

The headset port on the back of the  Cisco is of marginal use.  There
are "special" Plantronics headsets which work in those ports, but
they're very expensive and not too nice, in my opinion.

Any phone with a "normal" handset can simply have a headset put
in-line with it.  The Cisco fits that bill, and I have been using my
Hello Direct Pro amplifier and headset for several years on different
phones including the Cisco 79xx series.  They work well, and aren't
"specific" to the Cisco and thus can be moved around.

The Cisco handset can be removed entirely, and the phone is smart
enough to know what's going on with the buttons.  These also work on
the Grandstream, and pretty much any other standard phone ever made.
Ignore Cisco's silly "headset" jack - it's just proprietary gimmick
to sell headsets (yes, you do lose the little "headset" button as a
function - so what?)

http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?CATID=15782&PRODID=16666

Expensive, but very much worth it.  One of these is the first thing
I've ordered at the last four companies I've worked with, for myself
and anyone who works for/with me on the phone.  I can't tell you how
many help desks I've seen where the whole staff walks around with
their heads slightly tilted due to muscle fatigue from holding a
handset with their shoulder...

JT