[Asterisk-Users] Still no audio on SIP phone

Peter Pauly ppp at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 2 13:50:48 MST 2003

I have been using X-Lite on FWD without any troubles
and recently became interested in trying asterisk.

I am able to register from X-Lite and dial a number -
I've tried dialing some of the sample numbers in the sample
extentions.conf file, like 500 and 1234, they appear to dial
correctly from X-lite but nothing else happens - no audio is
heard. My understanding is that I should hear some sort of
message.

I already found one problem - on my debian system -
/usr/bin/mpg123 was a symbolic link pointing to mpg321.
I've corrected that and installed mpg123/unstable and made
sure it was the real deal (deleted the symbolic link, etc).
I am still not getting any audio.

My setup:  Debian (from Knoppix - a mix of unstable, testing, stable),
no hardware phone cards, one software SIP phone (X-lite). Everything
is on a LAN (no firewall involved).

Where should I begin to find this problem? I've tried starting asterisk
with lots of verbose flags, but I don't see anything suspicious.

Peter.