[Asterisk-Users] Installation Problem

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Sep 2 10:50:53 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 12:07, John Todd wrote:
> >On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 02:27, John Todd wrote:
> >>  Phil -
> >>     Here are my "generic" notes and reminders for Asterisk on Debian.
> >>  These may be hacks; your mileage may vary.
> >>
> >>  debian asterisk install notes:
> >>  - in asterisk/Makefile: added "-I/usr/local/ssl/include" to CFLAGS line
> >>  - in asterisk/res/Makefile: added "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to CRYPTO_LIBS line
> >>  - in zaptel/Makefile: commented out KFLAGS+=-DCONFIG_ZAPATA_PPP   line
> >>  - installed libnewt-dev
> >>  - installed newt-tcl (?needed)
> >>  - installed "apt-get source openssl"
> >>  - installed "apt-get install openssl"
> >
> >There are dev packages for openssl so the the source is not necessary.
> >The dev packages put the headers in the right place and therefore the
> >/usr/local/ changes aren't necessary.
> >
> >libnewt-dev is important so you can compile zttool and astman. newt-tcl
> >shouldn't be necessary, but may be a debian dependency thing.
> >
> >The PPP line is only needed if either your kernel doesn't have PPP
> >support, or if you don't plan on using the PPP options on the T1/E1
> >interfaces.
> >
> >Hope that clears up any problems.
> >--
> >Steven Critchfield  <critch at basesys.com>
>
> OK, thanks for the follow-up.  I just did what was required to get it
> running on the particular version of Debian that I was given.  I am
> unfamiliar with the distro, so those are my notes that I used to get
> it working.   For whatever reason, the ssl libraries were not found
> correctly, and I had to modify the Makefiles to do the right thing.
> The version I was using didn't have the ppp support in the kernel by
> "default", so I deactivated it - none of my clients use the RAS
> features of Asterisk, so it's no big loss.
>
> The one last thing I did notice is that after someone else has
> installed "new" kernels, the "/usr/src/linux" symlink to the kernel
> directory in the same . went away.  I don't know if this is part of a
> normal kernel upgrade with Debian or what, but I've had to link it
> manually twice to get Asterisk to compile.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to look for the kernel headers in the
/lib/modules/2.x.x/build/include directory. This is the way VMWare does
it's default build against the currently running kernel.
The current way the linus tree is released is to untar to a versioned
directory where you then are able to make a unversioned/latest link to
the one you are using.