[Asterisk-Users] Flaky SIP registration

Jeff Robinson jeff.robinson at newmic.com
Fri Oct 31 14:15:44 MST 2003

Hey all,

Has anyone ever had problems with flaky behaviour when registering
softphones dynamically with asterisk?  I'm working with Kphone and
having problems getting consistent results with registration.

When Kphone is able to register, asterisk reports
  -- registered SIP '2001' at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX port 5060

where asterisk sees [2001] in sip.conf as

[2001]
type=friend
username=2001
host=dynamic
context=from-sip
mailbox=2001
canreinvite=yes

and the Kphone command window contains the entire, beautiful, SIP
registration sequence.

If I unregister or close kphone and allow the registration to lapse so
that asterisk "sip show peers" replies with
Name/username    Host                 Mask             Port     Status
2001/2001        (Unspecified)   (D)  255.255.255.255  0     Unmonitored

and then try registering again, asterisk does not reply to the
registration request.  Kphone ends up timing out its REGISTER requests
to the asterisk server without getting a single reply, and the asterisk
CLI gives no indication of any activity at all.

Does anyone know why asterisk wouldn't respond to requests?  I have
tried many combinations of stopping / starting asterisk and kphone, but
there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the flaky registration
behaviour.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff