[Asterisk-Users] High Availability and Mass Deployment for Asterisk

Senad Jordanovic senad at boltblue.com
Fri Oct 31 05:11:40 MST 2003

<If you are load balancing with a "director" that spreads the load
across
>multiple servers, the first problem would be sharing the SIP
>registration information between the two or more servers..
>This is so that if UA1 is registered on Server1 and UA2 is registered
on
>Server2.. Then when a call is made from UA1 to UA2, Server1 would know
>the registration details of UA2 in order to connect the call.. Sure it
>could be made to try the other servers from within the dialplan but
this
>will be very messy as the number of servers goes up..

You are right, but what if each * server had a single source for all of
its configuration files from a file server over NFS or similar.
This scenario (in theory) will allow each * instance on separate boxes
to deal with the same conf files hence all users will use one single *
URL for registrations and other requests. Director servers will than
spread those requests over multiple boxes.

>Then there is the NAT issue.. If UA1 or UA2 are behind NAT then the NAT

>table will have an entry for the Server where the UA registered and not

>the other servers.. So when the call was initiated from one of the
other
>servers the NAT would simply drop the packets..

I think cluster can be setup with using only public IPs.

>What is probably needed is one of two things..
>. An SSI(Single System Image) cluster that load balances the processing

>to multiple nodes but all data in and out are seen to be from a single
>IP address..

Absolutely

>b. A front end "router/proxy" that handles the IP traffic and SIP
>information to and from a number of Asterisk nodes behind it that are
>doing the processing..

Director servers should be able to handle this

>Or alternatively a method where by Asterisk is able to be clustered
>within itself sharing the relevant data and load between the nodes of
>the cluster and managing the data flow in and out of the server and
>removing and adding nodes dynamically to the cluster when a node fails
>or is taken offline and brought back online.. Basically an SSI Asterisk

>application.. Of course if it did manage this who would need telco's
>anymore.. :)

Could not agree more but those sort of operations already exist in many
cluster solutions. So, why replicate? What is more important is that *
can work with cluster as you described. Mark? Have you any comments on
this?

>I guess you could always pop down to the store and order up a 64 way
SMP
>server... that should get at least a couple of thousand concurrent
calls
>going.. :)

Hmm, that "baby" will rock but even that will reach its limit one day.