[Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Fri Oct 31 05:07:59 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 02:39, Adam Hart wrote:
> why start this with redhat? I'd say it's the worse linux dist to
> attempt to make a small footprint. Try gentoo.

If you really want to get to a minimum why not Linux From Scratch?

Or try this, be prepared for a bit of a long typing session.

Create your own kernel with no frills.
Mount a spare disk and copy the kernel and it's modules to it.
Copy each program you think you will need to /bin /sbin on your disk.
"ldd <progname>" and copy those libraries to /lib on your disk or use
Debian's mklibs.sh utility.

Using this technique I've got the bare essentials from a Mandrake Cooker
installation onto an old 340Mb disk. It's now integrated into the
network and scp, ssh are working. Today's exercise is to set up a web
configuration server. Total space used so far is 31466 1K blocks. This
could possibly be reduced by building Busybox and a bit more pruning.

--
Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>