[Asterisk-Users] High Availability and Mass Deployment for Asterisk

Senad Jordanovic senad at boltblue.com
Thu Oct 30 14:58:01 MST 2003

Scenario one:
One asterisk server, 200+ calls/channels through it. Judging by related
posts this scenario will work fine.

Scenario two:
10000+ calls/channels with one registration URL. I heard that Voyage has
50,000+ clients now. I am talking about that sort of scenario. Mass
deployment. What then?

1. Do a lot of "switch" command to move the calls between servers?
2. Implement a load balancing/high availability solution
3. Your suggestions please

Here is my understanding of load balancing:
1. One or more director server are needed which will accept all incoming
requests and direct those requests to least busy application server.
2. Two or more application servers running * with shared network file
system for all needed directories /var/log/asterisk , /etc/asterisk etc.
3. RAID File Server (RAID 5 preferably)

The "weakest link" would be the director server but if run in a pair
that should provide very good reassurance that at least one of them will
be running while the faulty one is being replaced. The file server, of
course should have its own redundancy put in place.

Anyone out there:
Is there anything in * operation or structure preventing this sort of
setup?
Any other suggestions?

Ta

Senad