[Asterisk-Users] Newbie hardware question

Glenn Dalgliesh asterisk at techhat.com
Thu Oct 30 14:31:10 MST 2003

You could also look at products like
http://sales.netxusa.com/vegastream/vega50.php
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andy Hester
  To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
  Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 3:46 PM
  Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Newbie hardware question

    -----Original Message-----
    From: asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Just ME
    Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 11:00 AM
    To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
    Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Newbie hardware question

    Hi,
    I have scanned through the archives of this list and found a number of question about hardware, but I just can not find the answer to my question.  I am new to phone systems, I got "drafted" to come up with a new phone system for our company (I guess they figure since I know computers I know phone systems as well :O).
    We have 5 analog (I guess they are called PSTN lines) lines coming in and 16 clients (telephones) in our office.  I am not worried about the minimum computer requirements because I have a couple of spare P4 based servers with 512 megs of memory, but I need to know what cards should I be looking at using because I will run out of PCI slots if I use 4 TDM400P cards (for the clients) and 5 of the X100p (for the lines).
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

    Jon Hoffman

    Jon,
        Steven just answered this question quite well, so I'll just refer to him:

    Andy
    snip
    You will want either a T100P, or a T400P. Then you will want a channel

    bank that is modular enough to add a FXO card to it. With 5 lines of

    FXO, the Adtran units will be a good choice as they are in units of 6

    lines. The Adit cards are 8 lines at a time. The Adtran unit would let

    you get 18 extensions and 6 incoming lines on a single T1 interface.

    Both of these units can be bought on Ebay for relatively inexpensive

    compared to new prices. Then you will either have to scour the net for

    the FXO card, or go pay full price for it.

    Either way, this gets you down to 1 PCI card. If you go the route of a

    T400P card, adding more service later will be less of a hassle. You

    could also use it to do your network routing if you decide to go frac T1

    for data and some phone service tacked onto the same T1 interface. This

    could potentially even be a better route as you wouldn't need to find

    FXO interfaces anymore. You would also get the benefit of using the new

    software fax setup to get yourself on the way to unified messaging.