[Asterisk-Users] H.323 and G729: Another sad tale

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Oct 30 12:58:45 MST 2003

I've done some reviewing of the archives for G729 and H323
experiences.  The landscape of that query isn't pretty - lots of
pleas for help, and nor do I see too many "answers."  I have a
pending bid that requires some data before I can implement * on this
particular solution.

My question is perhaps a slightly differently worded one than has
been asked before, but it may be the case that it is the same
question as I have seen already posted (with no 'definitive' answer):

"Can g729 calls of type g729r8 or g729br8 from a Cisco AS5300 be
terminated on Asterisk systems and sent out Zap interfaces?"

If the answer is "Yes," then are there any specific patches I will
need?  Which of the two H323 drivers works?  Both?  Of course, I
assume that the G729 licenses from Digium are required for each
active channel.

If the answer is "No," what is your experience with attempts with
these codecs?  Are there any workarounds that you have implemented?

JT