[Asterisk-Users] Info on UK ISDN30e?

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 12:19:19 MST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:00:09PM +0000, Alastair Maw wrote:
> On 30/10/03 14:38, Gavin Hamill wrote:
>
> >Has anyone used ISDN30e in the UK with the Digium E1 cards?
>
> Many people.

That's reassuring to hear :)

> >What options are there to stick on a couple of ISDN2's on top of that
> >should we require some 'backup lines'.
>
> It's more a question of how to implement the backup lines - they're fine
> for outbound calls, but it's backup for inbound lines that you really
> want.

Precisely - the outbound stuff we can route via CPS or any Internet SIP
provider... We run a call-centre, so it's utterly crucial that the
incoming number is always reachable via some method.

> This is difficult to achieve, but you might be able to get BT to
> give you a hunt group that hits a pair of ISDN2s after looking through
> the E1 bank and failing to connect.

I think that'll probably be the route we take - I don't imagine
management would be very keen on someone routing the call data to us via
a network stream - that would require a lot of high-quality,
high-expense bandwidth (i.e. UUNet in the UK)

> It's only worth doing if you're going to route them directly to some
> other kit, though, so Asterisk support for ISDN2 hardware is largely
> irrelevant here.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this - we want to terminate
the ISDN30e ourselves, and have a couple of ISDN2s also there 'just in
case'.

> You will be able to just plug it straight in (standard RJ45 termination).

Superb.

> >I'm trying to gather some tangibility for the project - I see the first
> >mailing list post in November 1999... when did the project start, and
> >when was it first usable as a simple PBX?
>
> Can't answer this one, others? Many people/organizations have
> successfully deployed it, though.

Ah now that continues in the theme of my question - What people? What
organisations? What experiences / issues do they have to tell about the
installation? There's the likelihood of a lot of great PR for Asterisk
if the relevant parties would only put something in an e-mail :)

I mean, I'd love to turn round and be able to say to the bigwigs: 'Hey
look, Shell UK have converted their entire nationwide telephony system
to Asterisk', but that isn't going to happen - but lots of positive
reports from small businesses who have made the switch would (IMO) do
Asterisk a power of good.

> Be aware that it's currently not as easy to configure as many
> commercial PBXs, but it tends to be cheaper and more flexible. FAX
> support is also coming soon. :)

My previous experience with PBXs was a Siemens HiCom system, and even
with the Windows-based config tool, I didn't find it terribly easy to
configure. Indeed, I managed to kill the NVRAM on £1500-worth of VoIP
card in the process - whoops!

> or is there the possibilty to re-use proprietary handsets from a
> previous PBX?
>
> I doubt you can reuse proprietary handsets. Please provide more details
> (model/make).

We have an Inter-Tel Axxess unit with 32 extensions at present, and
immediate plans for another 16. If I can hook the S0-bus Asterisk and
some IP phones as a proof-of-concept, I'd be very happy.

Cheers,
Gavin