[Asterisk-Users] Info on UK ISDN30e?

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 07:38:50 MST 2003

Hi :)

My employer is looking to move a call centre to a new office, and has
been increasingly frustrated with their legacy PBX (call-logging
licensing and hardware upgrade costs).  So I've stepped forth as the
Open Source Pedant and suggested Asterisk so we can do all our own
CallerID / call logging / analyses, and make use of IP Phones /
teleworking, etc.

The problem begins in that I only have a very loose grasp of the telco
world.  Has anyone used ISDN30e in the UK with the Digium E1 cards? What
options are there to stick on a couple of ISDN2's on top of that should
we require some 'backup lines'.

Do BT terminate the ISDN30e in a format that I can literally just plug
into the Digium cards, or will I need some kind of adapter (whether
electronics or even just a simple socket/plug changer)?

I'm trying to gather some tangibility for the project - I see the first
mailing list post in November 1999... when did the project start, and
when was it first usable as a simple PBX?

Finally, are my options for handsets limited to IP phones via Ethernet,
or analogue phones via a channel bank (and then to another Digium E1/T1
card), or is there the possibilty to re-use proprietary handsets from a
previous PBX?

Cheers,
Gavin.