[Asterisk-Users] G.729 pass thru Asterisk

Chee Foong cheefoong at inovas.com
Thu Oct 30 05:07:07 MST 2003

Hello,

I have te following setup:

IAX client -----(iax)-----> Asterisk -----(h323)----> Cisco AS5300

At the present moment GSM codec is used betwee IAX client and Asterisk. G729
is used between Asterisk and Cisco AS5300.

I am thinking that switching from GSM to G729 between IAX client and
Asterisk. I know I need G729 licence at the IAX client, but at the Asterisk
side can I make Asterisk pass through G729 to Cisco AS5300. This way I do
not have to purchace G729 licence for the Asterisk server only for the IAX
client.

I wonder how this can be done in Asterisk? For example what should I set in
the iax.conf or any other .conf file?

Reading some of the post in the mailing list, someone mention Asterisk only
support passthrough for G723. is that true?